Monday, March 22, 2010

Sweet Rice Porridge

I woke up early this morning and decided to make some breakfast. Since I haven't been shopping in a while, I really only have rice and decided I'll make rice porridge. The one I made tasted just like oatmeal, so it was a success. This is my first tutorial, so if things aren't clear, please let me know and I'll explain more. Keep in mind that there are many variations you can do. This is just a tutorial on the one I made.

 These are the items I used:

-a pot
-an apple
-rice (white or brown)
-sugar
-milk
-butter
-cinnamon (optional)
-honey (optional)

Start off by preparing your rice. Letting your rice soak is the most important step. It helps the rice become nice and soft while cooking, which is best for porridge. If you don't have time to let it soak before cooking, you can always let it soak the night before you cook it. I let mine soak for about 40 minutes.

After 40 minutes, I use my hand to swish the rice around. This helps clean it. Now drain the water. Add more water and cook rice normally.

After the rice is done, let it sit for 10 minutes before draining the water. This helps the rice plump up. Rinse rice off twice.

Now its time to cook! Add in very little water, milk, and butter to the rice. Also add in however much sugar you want, it all depends on your taste. I also add cinnamon and honey to mine. At this stage you can add in any sweeteners you want. I'm sure it would be good with brown sugar. Stir occasionally.

Let it cook for a few minutes (I did it for about 5 min) before you add any fruit or anything else like that. I cut up an apple into small pieces and mixed it in. Let it cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Now its ready to serve. I eat mine with a cup of hot chocolate.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment